Northern Lights  in collaboration with Art Shanty Projects (ASP) will commission up to 5 projects to be a part of the Art Shanty encampment on the St Paul Riverfront. Past Shanty participants are encouraged to apply, can propose a continuation of previous programming. Each project proposal may only be submitted to one Northern Spark open call.
- Each project will receive a stipend of $150
- Logistical and set-up help.
- For more info about Art Shanties, explore www.artshantyprojects.org 
Art Shanty Projects is an artist driven temporary community exploring the ways in which relatively unregulated public space (frozen lakes, vacant lots, backyards) can be used as new and challenging artistic environments to expand notions of what art can be. The project provides a unique opportunity for artists to interact with their audience, and vice versa, in an un-intimidating, non-gallery like environment. ASP is dedicated to expanding who an be an artist, please address the following criteria in your proposal.
- Strength of idea and how integrated programming engages the audience directly.
- Leave No Trace. We leave only tracks on the lake (or anywhere). The lake (and Riverfront) is a quiet place, consequently generators are not allowed at any time. Deep cycle batteries are an option for providing power.
- Feasibility of proposed structure, while the frozen lake is a harsher environment than St. Paul in June, Shanties still need to be sturdy and rainproof. However the lack of extreme cold opens up the possibilities for lighter weight, more open construction.
- Primary contact info.
- A written description of idea; what is the shanty and what interaction/activity will take place in tandem with it (max 1pg PDF).
- Relevant visual material, drawing of proposed shanty, images of other similar projects if relevant, or other materials to help the panel understand their proposal. (max 2 pgs PDF).
- Brief bio for each participant (if working as a team).
Art Shanty proposals will be juried by the ASP advisory board.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org 
Application deadline, 11:59 pm March 7, 2011
Post your submission here:
Selected project(s) will be announced by March 21, 2011.